Hop Van Rentals
The following groups and departments have access to the Hop Van program:
- All student groups registered with the Office of Student Activities and Center for Social Concern
- Office of the Dean of Student Life
- Academic Departments for class trips
Driver Certification Program
Anyone wishing to drive Hop Vans must be certified with Transportation Services. To begin the certification process, click the link below. Once completed, you will need to email the completion certificate as well as a signed copy of this waiver to firstname.lastname@example.org. Candidates are screened for a history of accidents and moving violations, and then must schedule and pass a vehicle orientation and road test. To expedite the screening process, please ensure your full name (first, middle if you have one, and last) is included on the form; and, for your address, list your permanent address (or the address that appears on your license), including ZIP code. Also, submit a hand-signed form rather than one with your name simply typed into the signature blank. (A legible photo of the signed form may be submitted in lieu of a scanned copy.) Note that the records check can still take several business days, and available timeslots for the vehicle orientation and road test are limited -- so allow up to a couple weeks to complete the certification process from start to finish.
Reserving a Hop Van
To request a van, students must fill out the request form below. All requests are processed on a first-come, first-served basis. If the request is approved, confirmation will be received within one working day. Rental costs are $15 per day plus $0.65 per mile driven.
If you are looking to reserve vans on a regular schedule for an entire semester, please email your needs to email@example.com before filling out the request form.
The van rental request form requires the following information:
- Date and time requested. Be very specific and make sure to include AM and PM on your times.
- Number of passengers to be transported in the van. Hop Vans seat 7 - 8 passengers each, including the driver.
- Cost Center and Fund (budget codes). Requests without this information are not honored. If you are not sure of this information, please see the financial administrator or treasurer for your group.
- Your name, local phone number, title or position and email address.
- Driver's name(s) and phone number(s). All drivers must be van certified by the Johns Hopkins University prior to making a reservation.
- Your destination and distance from the Homewood Campus.
- Your purpose. Is this a social event, retreat, service project, etc.
Overnight and Long Distance Requests
Because of the increased risk involved in long distance (150 miles or more) and overnight trips, before a reservation can be confirmed, you may need to provide more information than what is requested on our form. This may include a written statement regarding the purpose of your trip, the names and contact information of all persons traveling in the van, contact information for where the group will be staying, etc. The initial request may be made via the same process as above, and you will be contacted for additional information as required. Groups should ensure they have several certified drivers for each van available for long trips, and should be prepared to use outside sources should the request not be approved.
Need a Larger Vehicle or Have Other Travel Needs?